Friday, November 12, 2010

Remembrance Day and other musings

I was debating whether I would write tonight.  I think I will.  Some of this is stuff I wrote around 11:10 am, so here we go:

So it's 11:10 am.  I just saw the Remembrance Day ceremony in the concourse of my school.  At my university the Remembrance Day ceremony is optional, which is good if you want the disrespectful people not to disrupt things, but a lot of people have class and can't observe the ceremony unless class is interrupted.  The profs don't usually stop class for the MINUTE of silence, which is pretty dumb.  It looked like they closed the Starbucks down for the assembly, so people wouldn't be talking while it was happening.  Those guys probably appreciated the break.  At the end the guest veteran said "You should appreciate what you have and be thankful that you have what you have."  It's the message we hear every year, but it stuck with me today.  It seems impossible, but I could be wearing a swastika armband in a war-torn Canada, forced to report any Jews to the police, eventually dying a violent death because I have brown hair.  I don't understand a lot of what happened.  For me, Remembrance Day is remembering the soldiers and Jewish people and others that died by the millions, hoping that World War II will never happen again, wearing a poppy (which usually scares me because of the pin - I'm a wimp), going to a ceremony or assembly, hearing the last post and standing for a full minute of silence at 11 am.
Where did the last post even come from?  When did they play it before this?  Was it written especially for Remembrance Day?  Is it a war call?  A song of peace?  A death lament?
One thing I definitely like about Remembrance Day is that it's still a fairly recent "Day" and it's not about celebrating or consuming.  So none of those greedy companies can make too much money off of it.  Knowing them, they've probably conducted some way to make money off of it, just not as much as Christmas or Hallowe'en.  But what could they gain?  They can't even sell poppies.  The money goes to veterans.  And it's one of the few special days of the year that is observed by everyone in our country that is not a celebration.  It is a day of remembrance, regret, a vow to improve society...  People don't make a fuss.  They just wear poppies and hopefully take a minute out of their day to stand in silence and reflect...

Oh yes, don't get the Gingerbread Loaf at Starbucks.  Overpriced (as always) and not only did they put nuts in it and other random crap, they also put chopped up orange peels on top of the delicious cream cheese icing, ruining the entire thing.  Just horrible.  Who came up with such a terrible instrument of torture??  My palate is still recovering.  No, that's just the tea that burnt my tongue this morning.  It still sucked.  Orange peels go in the garbage, not in your mouth.  And that sounded dirty.

The hot guys never notice me.  They walk right past, because they are paying attention to someone better.  Pigs.

I love watching Ouran High School Host Club.  Tamaki is dead sexy... in a miniskirt!  Couldn't resist...  I especially love the fact that he is voiced by Vic Mignogna.  Did I spell it right?  That's why I only watch the dub.  I wish I could live in the fantasy world that is Ouran High School Host Club.  It sounds better than my life.  I could be wrong.

What would it be like to find out someone loves you, has a crush on you?  I've never experienced it for sure.  Maybe it would be lovely.

I always hear people talking about how it's unfair that Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Justin Bieber are so popular when there are more talented people that should be popular instead of them.  Oscar Wilde once wrote "everything popular is wrong."  He nearly has a point.  But what if Lady Gaga suddenly CHANGED.  She started writing songs kind of like Imogen Heap, so not a huge change, but more depth to the music and lyrics.  And she wore more clothing when performing and making music videos.  You know, a bra and a shirt, instead of just a little tape on your breasts... I've actually noticed that most decent music has been coming from artists that are fairly clothed most of the time.  Mozart wore clothes and he coincidentally wrote musical masterpieces and became extremely popular.  You see, unlike Imogen Heap and others that have talent, but not a lot of popularity, she has the popularity.  She just doesn't have a lot of talent.  So she could potentially further increase her fan base, by actually making good music and wearing clothing.
So what would happen to her popularity?  Would it go up or down?  Who could say?  I'd listen to her.  I don't know.  If anyone is reading this, what do you think?  Was this a stupid theory?  I guess if they listened to her because of the bad songs and the stripping, why would they listen to something that isn't that?  I don't know.

I wonder what the word limit is.  Is it bottomless?  That would be cool.  I'd sit here and write until I die.  I'd have enough pages to build a house out of books made of my writings.  That would be fun.  Do people usually anonymously comment on these things?  Or are you supposed to promote your blog and get people you know to subscribe?  I'm new at this.  I don't know if anyone will read it.  I guess I'll just have to be patient.  Or....................

NEXT ENTRY!!!!!  ALL ABOUT HOW TO MAKE A CAR OUT OF DICKS SO YOU REALLY ARE LITERALLY COMPENSATING FOR YOUR SMALL PENIS!!!!!!!!!  STAY TUNED!

Ha.  Just kidding.  I'm tired.  Goodnight, whoever you people are!

No comments:

Post a Comment